What the Duck?! A Recipe! Duck Fat Smashed Potatoes

Let me interrupt our culinary tour through Victoria to interject a recipe that I tried today.  I have been home recovering from a major allergic reaction so by day three I was ready to get off the couch and cook (as long as it didn't take too much effort - like the foie gras recipe I was looking at!)  And truth be told I got on the scale today with some trepidation and found that I only gained 3.6 pounds during my months in Mexico and in the last two months that I've been home and eating everywhere and everything for this food blog.  While most people would be discouraged with a 3.6 pound wait gain I was elated!  So why not treat myself with duck fat and potatoes?!

There are few things simpler and more magical than fried potatoes. The perfect fried potato, crisp on the outside, and piping-hot and pillowy on the inside, can be an ethereal experience. Unfortunately, not even many restaurants get it right. 

As you know if you've been reading this blog for more than a minute, Phil and I are Eggs Benedict efficianados (is that a word?)  We LOVE Eggs Benny and we often pay little attention to the side potatoes only because it's hard enough for many restaurants to get the Eggs right and the hollandaise right.  But when they do, we are then looking for the favorite side potato.  Well, now I've found it, now I wish a restaurant would find it too!  Duck Fat Smashed Potatoes!!  These would definitely make the perfect side to a perfect Eggs Benedict.

They are easy to make, delicious and you only need a smidge of fat to get the perfect fried potato.  And you will find on the internet that duck fat is similar to olive oil in terms of healthy fat and better than butter (like I care, but I know that some of you do and are saying "What?  Duck Fat!!)

First the potatoes are boiled in liberally salted water, before they are lovingly smashed into thick patties. The boil in the briny water cooks the potatoes through while infusing just the right amount of salt into each spud. Then a fry in a puddle duck fat imbues the rich meaty essence of duck into each tatter while crisping up the skin into a crackling shell (now who said I couldn't use foodie words?!)

The simple instructions are to add whole baby potatoes to a large pot and cover with a few inches of water. Pour salt into the water until it tastes like the sea. Cover and bring the water to a boil. Remove the lid and simmer until you can pass a fork through the potato. Drain the potatoes and let the residual heat dry the skins (you’ll notice the skin start to turn white as the salt crystalizes).

Using the bottom of the pot that you boiled the potatoes in, gently smash the potatoes so they are about 3/4″ thick (I tried mashing them down with a fork but it made them fall apart too much making them harder to fry). In a thick frying pan, heat the duck fat until hot, then add the potatoes in a single layer. Fry until they potatoes are brown and crispy on one side, then use tongs to flip them and brown them on the other side.  They turned out perfect!

I could turn these into a meal by themselves, but they also make the perfect side. They’re wonderful with a little sea salt sprinkled on top and I always add some granulated garlic.  Some chopped onion is a favorite of mine in potatoes as well. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bamboo Hut - Sylvan Lake

Went for dinner with my son, his girlfriend (yes, his girlfriend even they deny it!) and his Mom 2.0 (seriously there's another mom as g...