State & Main Kitchen and Bar - Windemere

Tried out the new location today in Windemere for Brunch.  I went in thinking that they are going to have a really hard time beating the Eggs Benedict that we had a couple of weeks ago at the "other new kid on the block" Browns Socialhouse.  Turns out I was right.

We were seated and our server was prompt and efficient.  We were a little concerned looking over at the table next to us because while the menu describes the Bennys as being "drenched with hollandaise" theirs looked like less than a drizzle - and very thin, more like a glaze than a sauce.  We went ahead and ordered the Brunch Eggs Benedict (bacon, cheese and tomato - we ordered it without the tomato).  But I told our server that if we got so little hollandaise as the people next to us I would be less than happy.  She immediately pleased by saying that she puts the hollandaise on herself and she will make sure that I get an ample amount of sauce.  Okay, we're off to a good start!  We ordered our eggs soft as usual.

As our eggs were arriving at our table I could tell immediately that mine were overcooked.  Over the years I think I have become a bit of an Eggs Benny expert and now I don't need to cut into them to tell if they are overdone or too underdone.  In this case, the eggs were rock hard.  I was so disappointed because, while I understand that it can be a difficult thing to get perfect, when a table specifically orders their eggs soft, the Chef should not let eggs like that leave the kitchen.  If I can tell if they are done properly or not just by looking at them, so should the Chef be able to.  The Manager was nearby and quickly came over to rectify the situation. 

My eggs were returned to the kitchen and I was brought a side of potatoes and a bowl of fruit to tide me over until my eggs were prepared.  I was told that the Chef agreed with me that the eggs were overdone and that she would be cooking them herself.  I was quickly provided a replacement meal with another serving of hashbrowns and fruit.  I could tell the eggs were perfectly cooked and they were.  The egg yolks were oozing out onto the plate when cut into while the whites were perfectly set.  The Bennys were good, once prepared right, but there was nothing outstanding about them.  Just your standard Bennys.  My husband thought the hollandaise was too tangy and overcame the other flavours.  I thought it was about the only thing that made these Benny's stand out from any others.  The bacon was a nice addition and an ample piece was provided.  The cheese got lost somewhere in there and you couldn't tell it was there.  The potatoes were nothing special and less than inspired.  They need something more.

When our bill came we were charged for both of our breakfasts.  Which is okay, because they did everything to fix the problem and my meal in the end was good but I was still left to eat after my husband was done.  Not even a $5 gift card to use on my next visit was offered.  It's okay though because I won't be coming back anyways.  If I want to go somewhere close in the neighbourhood I will go to Brown's.  They have a $20 bottle of wine every day of the week!  State and Main's cheapest bottle of wine is $28 with other options above $30 and $40.  They do offer 1/2 price off wine bottles on Wednesday nights. 

I suspect they will do reasonably well in this location though.  This type of place appeals to the demographic and there are still limited options in the area.

Click to add a blog post for State & Main Kitchen and Bar on Zomato



No comments:

Post a Comment

Bamboo Hut - Sylvan Lake

Went for dinner with my son, his girlfriend (yes, his girlfriend even they deny it!) and his Mom 2.0 (seriously there's another mom as g...